Skip to main content

English Language Learning FAQs

  • Students are required to attend a school in the area where they reside. New student enrollment can be started online but families may still need to visit their school to complete the enrollment process. Please visit the following web pages for more information about school attendance areas and school enrollment procedures.

    School Enrollment Procedures

    School Boundary Maps

    School Day

  • If your child has not had required vaccines, check with your child’s doctor or local health department to get needed vaccines. You need to bring your child’s vaccine record with you each time you visit your child’s doctor or your local health clinic. If you do not have a doctor, you can get free vaccines at the Monroe County Public Health Clinic, located at 333 N. Miller Dr. Bloomington, IN 47401. Appointments are encouraged to help keep wait times to a minimum but walk-ins will be available.  Office hours are Monday - Thursday from 8:30 am – 11:30 am and 1 pm- 3 pm.  You may reach them by calling (812-353-3244). 

  • You may contact your child’s classroom teacher, ENL teacher, or school office. All MCCSC schools require a background check. The school office will assist you with how and what forms you need to fill out.

  • An apostille is an internationally recognized official seal that is issued by a state government. An apostille can be issued for documents that have been signed by a government official (or a Notary Public) of that same state. Some countries require transcripts to have the state seal (apostille). If your family is leaving the U.S. and needs to have the state seal added to your child’s school record, please refer to the following information.

    To receive the state seal, you will need to have your child’s school transcripts notarized by your school’s notary. Then you may submit your documents that need an apostille to the Indiana Secretary of State‘s office to request for the state seal. The contact information for the authentication office is as follows.

    Office Location: Indiana Government Center, South, 302 West Washington Street, Room E018

    Mailing Address: Room 201, Statehouse, Indianapolis, IN 46204

    Phone: (317) 232-2677

    Fax: (317) 233-3283


  • You may request a “withdrawal form” from your child’s school attendance office and return the completed form to the attendance office.

  • Language Assistance is a translation and interpreting service provided for families and school staff to overcome language barriers and improve communication. The purpose is to engage families in the educational process and activities in a meaningful way.

  • Bilingual Family Liaisons who speak Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, and Korean are available to assist families who experience language barriers. An over-the-phone interpreting service is used for all other languages. If you need an interpreter, you may contact your child’s school's main office. For more information about language assistance, Click Here.

  • Interpreting/translation services for your child’s education are available and provided for free of charge.

  • ENL (English as a New Language) program is a specialized instructional program for students whose first language is not English and who are learning English. It focuses on instructional strategies and techniques to develop proficiency in Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Comprehension.

  • English learners are students who are not fluent in English yet. Specifically, students who score an Overall Composite Proficiency of 4.9 or below on the WIDA ACCESS English Proficiency assessment are identified as English learners.

  • Most schools in the MCCSC offer English as a New Language (ENL) program. For the full list of schools, please click here.

  • Binford and University Elementary School offer the ENrich after-school tutoring program.

  • English learners in grades K-8 are eligible to attend the tutoring program.

    • Help your child to improve his/her English language communication skills, literacy, and academic vocabulary development.
    • Assist your child in schoolwork and concepts being worked on in the classroom.
    • Engage your child in conversational English speaking, comprehension, listening, and communication skills.
    • Supplement your child’s classroom learning with fun, educational, enrichment opportunities.
  • The tutoring program registration is based on the English learning needs of students and your child’s ENL teacher's recommendation is required.

  • No, there is no cost for students to participate in the program.